Two people in New Jersey abandoned their pickup truck in a frozen river with a dog inside, after an attempt at some winter daredevilry went awry.
Authorities were alerted by a call just after midnight on Saturday, reporting that a pickup truck had driven onto the frozen Toms River near Pine Beach, N.J. and was doing “donuts” on the ice.
“The headlight and brake lights could be seen from the shoreline as the vehicle headed South and West towards the other side of the river,” the Toms River Police Department said in a statement. “After a period of time went by the lights suddenly were no longer visible.”
Sergeant First Class Gregory Williams of the New Jersey State Police Dive team told the New York Daily News that police found the submerged vehicle around 3 p.m. on Sunday with a frozen dog inside.
Toms River Police said that two individuals have turned themselves in for questioning in connection with the incident.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating