A teenage girl is facing manslaughter charges for allegedly encouraging a male friend to commit suicide.
Michelle Carter, 18, of Plainville, Mass. is accused of having sent text messages to Conrad Roy III as he attempted to kill himself by carbon monoxide poisoning last July, encouraging him to remain in the idling truck as it filled with exhaust fumes.
A police report read in part:
Carter, an honor roll student, went on to raise money for mental illness in Roy’s name and wrote on social media about suicide prevention. She has been indicted as a “youthful offender.”
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How Sara Reardon Became the 'Vagina Whisperer'
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time