A teenage girl is facing manslaughter charges for allegedly encouraging a male friend to commit suicide.
Michelle Carter, 18, of Plainville, Mass. is accused of having sent text messages to Conrad Roy III as he attempted to kill himself by carbon monoxide poisoning last July, encouraging him to remain in the idling truck as it filled with exhaust fumes.
A police report read in part:
Carter, an honor roll student, went on to raise money for mental illness in Roy’s name and wrote on social media about suicide prevention. She has been indicted as a “youthful offender.”
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating