A valuable dress that was stolen from the hotel room of actress Lupita Nyong’o after she wore it to the Oscars has been recovered, Los Angeles police said.
The as-yet-unidentified thief who stole the 12 Years a Slave star’s dress apparently returned it to the London Hotel in Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Times reports. A sheriff’s department spokesman indicated some confidence that the pearl-covered dress discovered in a hotel bathroom is the same one Nyong’o wore to present J. K. Simmons’s Best Supporting Actor Oscar.
“We believe this dress is the dress that was stolen from the London Hotel,” a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said.
Nyong’o’s dress was one of the biggest stories of Oscar night even before it was stolen; covered in 6,000 pearls, the dress was reportedly worth $150,000.
See All the Best Actresses in Oscar History
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com