Although the actress wasn’t smiling as Travolta leaned in for a smooch on the Oscars red carpet, she tells the Associated Press she hadn’t “seen John in some years and it is always a pleasure to be greeted by him.”
“The image that is circulating is an unfortunate still-frame from a live-action encounter that was very sweet and totally welcome,” Johansson said. “That still photo does not reflect what preceded and followed if you see the moment live.”
Johansson, 30, also called him “a class act” and said “there is nothing strange, creepy or inappropriate about John Travolta.”
Later in the night, Travolta poked fun of himself during the Oscar’s broadcast for his infamous flub of Idina Menzel’s name with a rehearsed bit in which he caressed the singer’s face.
“I loved finishing it. It came full circle,” he told Vanity Fair of the Oscars moment.”I loved it because it means I come back [to the Oscars] next year.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org