Nine people were found dead early Friday after a series of overnight shootings in a small town in Missouri.
Eight were shot in and around the rural community of Tyrone, including the apparent gunman, and a ninth person found dead at the crime scene had passed away from natural causes, police said.
Law enforcement agents found the body of the apparent shooter, a 36-year-old man, inside a car in the next county over, NBC reports.
Texas County Sheriff deputies said they were alerted to the slayings at 10:15 pm Thursday when a young woman called saying she had heard gunshots in her home and fled. Deputies found two people dead inside that home.
Further investigation led to five other people who had been shot and killed inside Tyrone residences. One person was found injured and taken to the hospital. In another residence, police found the body of a deceased elderly woman who appeared to have died of natural causes.
The relationship between the shooter and the victims is not immediately clear. Police said they would hold a press conference mid-morning.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Eliana Dockterman at firstname.lastname@example.org