In this Feb. 11, 2015 file photo, Argentina's President Cristina Fernandez speaks during an event announcing new government projects at the government palace Casa Rosada, in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Rodrigo Abd—AP
February 27, 2015 4:28 AM EST

An Argentine judge dismissed a controversial case on Thursday against the country’s President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, citing a lack of evidence.

Kirchner and her foreign minister Héctor Timerman were accused of covering up the alleged involvement of Iranian officials in a bomb attack on a Jewish center in Buenos Aires in 1994, reports the New York Times.

The criminal case was brought against the duo and other officials by prosecutor Alberto Nisman, who died mysteriously last month.

Judge Daniel Rafecas said the case filed by Nisman did not “minimally hold up” and said there was not enough evidence to launch a court investigation.

Nisman’s body was found in his apartment on Jan. 18, with a gunshot wound to the head. He was due to testify against Kirchner the following day in Congress.

The circumstances surrounding his death have not been established.

Both Kirchner and Timerman have denied they had any hand in shielding the Iranians from responsibility in the attack.

Also on Thursday, Argentine legislators approved a bill scrapping the country’s existing intelligence agency. In its place, a new federal investigative agency will be established.

[NYT]

Write to Helen Regan at helen.regan@timeasia.com.

Read More From TIME

Related Stories

EDIT POST