The Internet took a weird turn Thursday when all of a sudden everyone started buzzing about the color of a dress. A woman had taken to Tumblr the day before to ask a seemingly normal question: what color is this dress?
But there was something off about the dress and the image. The woman says when she saw a photo of the dress once, it was blue and black (she even posted a photo of the dress being worn at a wedding. In that image, it appears to be blue and black) but when she looked at it again, the dress was gold and white.
This is about the point where the Internet broke.
Her Tumblr got flooded with comments. “i’ve gained over a thousand followers so all I’m going to say is hello,” the user known as swiked posted Thursday. Twitter erupted. Gawker posted it. BuzzFeed did, too. BuzzFeed even seems to have solved the mystery.
But that still doesn’t quite explain why the image appears white and gold to some and blue and black to others. Probably eye, light, mind tricks, but hopefully scientists of the world are hard at work trying to figure this out. Maybe, just maybe, we’ll get some great think pieces out of it, too.
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World