Just like the song says: She’s gonna carry on.
Madonna was pulled down a flight of stairs during her performance at the U.K.’s Brit Awards today performing her new single “Living For Love.” Video footage appears to show a cape-like costume element meant to be pulled off Madonna’s shoulders which didn’t detach properly, dragging Madonna down three stairs and onto her back on the stage.
Falls in live performances are an occupational hazard for the most seasoned performers: In 2009, to name just one instance, Jennifer Lopez fell onstage at the American Music Awards. But this has been a moment of unusual attention to Madonna, with her upcoming album Rebel Heart representing a serious bid for an artistic comeback.
Still, Madonna’s beating back her critics began seconds after her fall: She got up and finished the song. And in a post on Instagram, the singer wrote, “nothing can stop me.”
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart