“Jamie is delighted that the film is breaking box office records worldwide and whilst the studio has not made any formal announcements about sequels, he is looking forward to making the next film,” Dornan’s rep confirmed to PEOPLE Wednesday, adding that the actor will not be making further statements for the time being.
The Australian magazine NW had reported that the 32-year-old actor and model was walking away from future films because Dornan’s wife, Amelia Warner, was uncomfortable with the racy sex scenes he shares with 25-year-old costar Dakota Johnson.
Dornan had hinted at his wife’s unease with the film at its U.K. premiere, saying his wife hadn’t seen the film, adding, “And I don’t think she will, to be honest.”
While the studio has yet to green light a new film, it’s believed that Johnson is signed on for any sequels, while director Sam Taylor-Johnson only signed on for the first film. There have been no discussions on her returning.
Taylor-Johnson reportedly often clashed with Fifty Shades author E L James, who will once again have full control of future films.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate