According to a survey late last year, the biggest complaint people had about their smartphones was that they just wouldn’t stay charged. And even though plenty of bars, restaurants and other places people with smartphones gather have installed charging stations, no one really wants to be that person standing in the corner waiting for a little more phone juice on a Friday night. Enter XOO: a company making belts with a built-in battery so your phone is never in danger of dying.
Like seemingly every small but incredibly useful technological innovation over the last year, the XOO belt ran a successful crowdfunding campaign earlier this winter, raising almost $78,000. They also recently partnered with British design house Casely-Hayford for a more fashionable take on their wearable charging station.
The tech in the belts isn’t drastically different from other mobile charging stations or phone cases; it just looks a lot more attractive. The designers actually stitched a battery into the leather, which charges the phone. That does mean that you’ll have to remember to plug your belt in—the battery needs to be charged in order to power your phone. But just remember to do that, and it’s smooth sailing.
According to their preliminary testing, the belts take about two and half hours to charge an iPhone 6, which is similar to the time it takes if the phone is plugged into the wall. All this is good news for anyone who has ever uttered the phrase, “My phone is about to die.”
The belts are available for preorder on the XOO site right now, with an expected ship date of July 2015.
More from FWx:
- Go See the World’s First 4D Dress at New York’s Museum of Modern Art
- A Coffee-Infused Blazer Will Keep You Smelling Fresh
- This Shoe is Designed Specifically for Bartenders
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World