Twenty years after its release, Jewel’s album Pieces of You—featuring hits like “Who Will Save Your Soul” and “Foolish Games”—seems like a key piece of 1995-iana.
But, in 1995, when the album dropped, what TIME had to say about it was…nothing.
As the magazine noted when the singer-songwriter made the cover a few years later, the record that had by then sold more than 5 million copies had at first gone nowhere. It took years of touring for word of mouth to make the difference. By that time, she wasn’t just a star in her own right. She was the face of a trend, as female singers caught the attention of the country. As TIME put it:
Read the full 1997 Jewel cover story, here in the TIME Vault: Jewel and the Gang
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time