Disney Channel star Zendaya Coleman slammed E!’s Fashion Police host Giuliana Rancic after her comments about the actress’ hairdo went viral Monday night. Rancic said that Coleman’s look at the 2015 Academy Awards Sunday night, specifically her hair, made her think “smells like patchouli oil” or “weed.”
In a message posted Monday night on Twitter, Coleman called Rancic’s remarks “seriously offensive” and “ignorant slurs.” In a widely retweeted message, she listed a number of prominent African-Americans who wear their hair in dreadlocks. “There is already harsh criticism of African-American hair in society without the help of ignorant people who choose to judge others based on the curl of their hair.”
— Zendaya (@Zendaya) February 24, 2015
Rancic apologized on Twitter, writing: “I was referring to a bohemian chic look.”
Dear @Zendaya, I'm sorry I offended you and others. I was referring to a bohemian chic look. Had NOTHING to do with race and NEVER would!!!
— Giuliana Rancic (@GiulianaRancic) February 24, 2015
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving