Disney Channel star Zendaya Coleman slammed E!’s Fashion Police host Giuliana Rancic after her comments about the actress’ hairdo went viral Monday night. Rancic said that Coleman’s look at the 2015 Academy Awards Sunday night, specifically her hair, made her think “smells like patchouli oil” or “weed.”
In a message posted Monday night on Twitter, Coleman called Rancic’s remarks “seriously offensive” and “ignorant slurs.” In a widely retweeted message, she listed a number of prominent African-Americans who wear their hair in dreadlocks. “There is already harsh criticism of African-American hair in society without the help of ignorant people who choose to judge others based on the curl of their hair.”
— Zendaya (@Zendaya) February 24, 2015
Rancic apologized on Twitter, writing: “I was referring to a bohemian chic look.”
Dear @Zendaya, I'm sorry I offended you and others. I was referring to a bohemian chic look. Had NOTHING to do with race and NEVER would!!!
— Giuliana Rancic (@GiulianaRancic) February 24, 2015
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was