Fifty Shades of Grey star Dakota Johnson brought her mom, actress Melanie Griffith, as her date to the Oscars — but that date got real tense, real fast.
A red carpet interview with ABC’s Lara Spencer started off uncomfortable — watch Johnson wince as Spencer calls her Griffith’s “little girl” — and quickly escalated into an excruciatingly awkward ordeal. Of course, Spencer brings up Fifty Shades, and the fact that basically everyone has seen it. Then she asks Griffith if she’s seen it.
“No,” Griffith says in a flat voice. “I don’t think I can. I think it would be strange.”
Watch above as Johnson grows increasingly exasperated with her mother in the ultimate “Moooooommmmm!” moment.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List