Academy Awards host Neil Patrick Harris gave former Oscar-winner Octavia Spencer a dumb job and had two white dudes oversee her doing it—and people on Twitter are not happy about it.
Harris asked Spencer to be in charge of watching his own Oscar predictions, which were sealed in a briefcase in a clear locked box. He then asked Robert Duvall and Eddie Redmayne, to make sure she got it right.
The bit was supposed to be a joke, but many on Twitter found it humorless, tone-deaf and even racist, considering how few people of color are nominated at this year’s Oscars.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow