Academy Awards host Neil Patrick Harris gave former Oscar-winner Octavia Spencer a dumb job and had two white dudes oversee her doing it—and people on Twitter are not happy about it.
Harris asked Spencer to be in charge of watching his own Oscar predictions, which were sealed in a briefcase in a clear locked box. He then asked Robert Duvall and Eddie Redmayne, to make sure she got it right.
The bit was supposed to be a joke, but many on Twitter found it humorless, tone-deaf and even racist, considering how few people of color are nominated at this year’s Oscars.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science