Relentless, teeth-chattering, record-shattering cold gripped the eastern United States on Friday as the next winter storm threatened to make an icy, snowy mess out of the weekend for tens of millions of people.
Flint, Michigan, dipped to 25 degrees below zero, tying the record for the coldest morning there since records were established in 1921. Philadelphia, Washington and Lexington, Kentucky, had their coldest morning in two decades.
Elsewhere, from Maine to Florida, temperatures were as much as 40 degrees lower than normal. Forecasters said it might turn out to be the coldest air of the entire winter…
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time