The Saturday Night Live 40th anniversary was definitely special. It had to be. But there was one thing on the cards that would have had people talking for weeks — Eddie Murphy playing Bill Cosby in the show’s iconic Celebrity Jeopardy segment.
The plan, which never came to fruition, was outlined in a tweet-storm from veteran comedian and SNL alum Norm Macdonald on Wednesday night, who described the writing and ideation process behind the iconic skit in great detail.
Macdonald goes on to describe the process of convincing Murphy to do the sketch.
And here’s why.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now