At least one organization has a sense of humor about the wave of cold, snowy weather ravaging New York: The Ithaca, New York, tourism board.
Visitors to VisitIthaca.com this week were greeted with a pop-up on the site that encouraged them to flee to warmer climates.
“Due to this ridiculously stupid winter, Ithaca invites you to visit the Florida Keys this week,” it read. “Please come back when things thaw out. Really, it’s for the birds here now.” (Ithaca’s tourism info desk confirmed to PEOPLE the pop-up was not a hoax.)
This may be less of a cheeky joke and more of a public service: It’s expected to reach -4 degrees in Ithaca on Friday. At those temperatures, we’re not even sure a place can be considered for the birds.
Florida’s tourism board even got in on the action:
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization