Had enough Candy Crush and looking for some fun new games to play on your iPhone? Here are five favorites TIME rounded up this week.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.
Run Bird Run
While Angry Birds may dominate the absurd bird-based genre, games like Crossy Road and Run Bird Run are starting to steal the spotlight. Players control a square bird by tapping their screen left or right in order to avoid falling boxes. It’s simple, almost mindless, and yet lots of fun to play. Unlock different levels, characters, maps, and a variety of comical cube-shaped creatures to keep the game interesting.
King of Thieves
One of the few non-puzzle, non-shooter player-vs.-player games available for iOS. Play as a tiny cubed thief trying to steal gold from others while remaining undetected. The more you steal, the more money you have to buy disguises to better rob your friends.
Radical combines old-school concepts of barebones design and simple obstacle avoidance. Guide a small triangle through a series of openings without hitting the side of the wall. See if you can swipe your triangle from one side of the screen to the other in order to avoid crashing. It’s a simple arcade-style game that can keep you busy for long stretches of time.
Cava Racing is a well-designed racing title that has the feel of an arcade game, with the desolate look and coloring of a Mad Max movie. Players rotate their phones in order to steer ships around corners that can spell doom for your vehicle. Use boosters to try and crush the best times for each race. The gameplay is incredibly fast and high-quality.
Darklings Season 2
A sequel to a well-received first attempt, Darklings Season 2 takes players through a surreal universe to fight enemies and conquer maps. Players use special powers to battle enemy darklings, who have stolen the stars from the world. It’s a remarkably detailed and well-animated game worthy of the first.