Fifty Shades of Grey is breaking box-office records faster than it’s breaking taboos. The much anticipated movie version of E.L. James’ hit novel has raked in $81.67 million since it opened Friday, and Universal projects the movie will make over $90 million over the four-day weekend, Deadline reports.
That makes Fifty Shades of Grey the record holder for best Presidents’ Day opening weekend of all time.
Kingsman: The Secret Service didn’t do badly either, with $35.6 over three days (handily beating 20th Century Fox’s estimate of $20 million). That’s probably thanks to all the guys who didn’t want to go see 50 Shades of Grey.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time