• Tom Hanks reunited with a volleyball that looked just like Cast Away’s Wilson at a New York Rangers game.
• Oreo–which recently unveiled Red Velvet cookies–is reportedly testing a s’mores flavor.
• Madonna premiered her latest music video, “Living for Love,” on Snapchat. She’s the first major artist to do so.
• Actress Kristen Wiig wore an actual wig and danced during Sia’s performance of “Chandelier” at the Grammys.
Price of a special Valentine’s Day margarita from Iron Cactus Mexican Grill in Austin. The drink includes Patrón Platinum Tequila, fresh-squeezed lime juice–and a pair of diamond earrings designed by Zoltan David
When movie producers needed animals in the 1950s, they sometimes went to Willis Parker’s ranch for miniature horses like Chauncey, seen here with 3-year-old Cynthia West in a photo from a 1952 LIFE cover shoot. To see the full gallery, visit time.com/minihorses.
‘I’m alive and kicking and happy as hell.’
HARPER LEE, author, via a statement from her attorney, amid speculation about her willingness to release Go Set a Watchman, the long-delayed sequel to her novel To Kill a Mockingbird
The 34-year-old singer and recent Grammy winner is back as a coach on NBC’s The Voice, which returns Feb. 23.
You’re returning to The Voice after two seasons away. Did you miss spinning around in the chairs?
Yeah, the chairs can be kind of fun! Too bad it only lasts for the first section, the blind auditions.
What a bummer.
But truly, the company I come back to is so fun. I would be crazy bored behind the scenes if I wasn’t coming back to Blake [Shelton] and Adam [Levine]’s craziness.
Your son Max just turned 7. How long before he finds an old Christina Aguilera video on YouTube and asks, “Mom, can we talk about what happened in 2002?”
Luckily he hasn’t discovered that yet. But it’s scary what’s out there for him to find: certain movies, certain song lyrics that I’m even hearing him come home with.
It could be anything as innocent as Beyoncé to songs about baking soda, you know what I mean? But yeah, I’m prepared to tell him about who I am as an artist and why he’s able to live the life that he now lives. It’s a lot better than how I was brought up!
Your 2001 version of “Lady Marmalade” with Pink, Mya and Lil’ Kim was a big moment for women in pop. If you had to pick artists for a 2015 version, who would they be?
Miley [Cyrus] would be great in that mix, because she’s a great risk taker and has a lot of fun. Maybe Nicki Minaj. It’s always great to see girls come together, especially in the face of the media trying to pit us against each other. It’s never-ending, no matter how young or old you are.
Audience participation isn’t just encouraged at Jen Lewin’s The Pool–it’s required. Over 100 LED-lit platforms change color based on the pressure and speed of visitors’ physical interactions. The exhibit, seen here at the Centro Colombo mall in Lisbon (it’s headed to the Montréal en Lumière festival, which runs Feb. 19 to March 1), is surrounded by wonderWall, a hanging barrier designed by LIKEarchitects that comprises 20,000 strips of black and white fabric.
Love at First Swipe
A new dating app called High There! hopes to unite potential mates on the basis of a shared affinity for all things marijuana, at least in the states where the drug is legal. But it’s hardly the first would-be Tinder successor to forge connections based on a specific interest. Here, a look at four others:
1 FOR INSTAGRAM FIENDS
Glimpse (available for iOS) allows users to curate ‘grams that showcase their best qualities and then find someone aesthetically compatible.
2 FOR TRAVELERS
Wingman (launching soon for iOS and Android) lets users send messages in airports and on wi-fi-enabled flights in an effort to connect with like-minded jet-setters.
3 FOR ELITISTS
The League (still in beta for iOS and Android) is an invite-only matchmaking service for ambitious young professionals looking to become one half of the Next Great Power Couple.
4 FOR SALAD LOVERS
SaladMatch, created by fast-casual chain Just Salad and available for iOS, matches users by salad preferences and what time they typically eat lunch.
• Damon Wayans Jr., a.k.a. Coach, will be leaving Fox’s New Girl (again) after its fourth season.
• Saturday Night Live creator Lorne Michaels admitted he passed on casting Steve Carell, Stephen Colbert, Lisa Kudrow and others.
• A woman was kicked out of a Wisconsin McDonald’s for bringing in a diaper-wearing kangaroo that she claimed was a service animal.
• Scientists at New York University have determined that it takes approximately 2,500 licks to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop.
FOR TIME’S COMPLETE TV, FILM AND MUSIC COVERAGE, VISIT time.com/entertainment
This appears in the February 23, 2015 issue of TIME.
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement