We have met the leader of the Rise of the Machines, and his name is Spot.
Spot — a smaller version of the company’s aptly named Big Dog — is capable of gracefully (for a robot) running up hills, maneuvering through rough terrain and climbing stairs. And he’s quiet, so you might not see him coming.
The robot also has the ability to self-stabilize, which Boston Dynamics illustrates by video taping employees kicking him in the side. Come on guys, I know you’ve seen enough movies to know you shouldn’t taunt the robots! This is how it all starts!
Granted, if Spot proves to be less vengeful and more benevolent, The Verge points out that he could be useful to assist with search and rescue missions and accessing disaster zones.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time