The Lord of the Rings was successful because J.R.R. Tolkien knew how to tell a good story, one that director Peter Jackson was able to bring to life on the screen. But Jackson’s version didn’t even scratch the surface of The Lord of the Rings mythology, a complex tale of wizards, elves and rings of power woven into a tapestry so tight it could be hung in the Great Hall of Thingol.
Luckily the elves that operate the internet, which may or may not be the same elves that populate Middle Earth, have heard our head scratching and created a helpful videos series that unravels some of the mysteries of the Lord of the Rings. In the latest installment of the informative series posted on YouTube channel CGP Grey, the origin story of the One Ring —and the secret to elven agelessness and dwarf wealth— is explained in less than five minutes.
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was