It turns out Kanye West might not have been joking when he walked toward the stage after Beck beat Beyoncé for album of the year at the Grammys on Sunday night.
While some thought he was spoofing his “Imma let you finish” moment when Taylor Swift beat Beyoncé in 2009, West made his opinions clear in an interview with E! after the ceremony. “Beck needs to respect artistry and he should have given his award to Beyoncé,” the rapper said next to a clearly uncomfortable Kim Kardashian.
Watch the interview below:
West later said he meant no disrespect to Beck, and wasn’t implying he wasn’t a “real artist,” but was rather aiming his criticism at the Grammys. “Beck knows Beyoncé should have won,” he said.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief