Pope Francis took a detour Sunday and stunned the residents of a Roman shantytown with a surprise visit.
Italian television station TV2000 captured a video showing the Pope laughing with the shocked crowd, many of whom originated from South America, Reuters reports.
“How many of you here speak Spanish?” the Argentinian Pope asked.
He was met with a boisterous response: “Todos!”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction