The world has been waiting with bated breath for the film adaptation of E.L. James’s erotic novel Fifty Shades of Grey, starring Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson. But at least one person’s not looking forward to seeing the film: Johnson’s mom, actress Melanie Griffith.
Out celebrating Grammy weekend at music executive Clive Davis‘s annual pre-Grammy gala at the Beverly Hilton Saturday, Griffith told reporters what would happen if she were to watch her daughter in Fifty Shades.
“She would be very uncomfortable if I saw it, and I would be very uncomfortable if I saw it,” Griffith said. “So we would never be able to talk about it, so why would I see it?”
But like any mom, Griffith was happy her daughter got a job. “I was so happy for her when she called me,” Griffith says, though it seems she would have preferred her daughter as the lead in a slightly less racy franchise, “She said, ‘Well, I just got Fifty Shades of Grey!’ I was like, ‘Oh. My God!'”
And even as the film’s Feb. 13 release date draws nearer, Griffith remains resolutely non-curious.
“Would you want to see your child having sex like that? Just regular sex, I couldn’t even do that, but the ‘room of pain’ sex? I definitely couldn’t do that!”
Johnson, on the other hand, told USA Today that her parents are “maybe” allowed to see the film.
This article originally appeared on People.com
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement