Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan are donating $75 million to San Francisco General Hospital.
The gift will help fund equipment and technology for the new public hospital, which is set to open at the end of 2015, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.
“It’s incredibly gracious they have recognized the importance of this hospital to the entire city,” said San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee.“They have made sure, in the future, there will be enough money to maintain and modernize it. They want a public hospital as important as this to be at world-class standards every year.”
Zuckerberg and Chan’s donation is the largest gift to the hospital since its foundation was created in 1994, and hospital officials believe it’s the largest single private gift to a public hospital in the country.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears