Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan are donating $75 million to San Francisco General Hospital.
The gift will help fund equipment and technology for the new public hospital, which is set to open at the end of 2015, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.
“It’s incredibly gracious they have recognized the importance of this hospital to the entire city,” said San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee.“They have made sure, in the future, there will be enough money to maintain and modernize it. They want a public hospital as important as this to be at world-class standards every year.”
Zuckerberg and Chan’s donation is the largest gift to the hospital since its foundation was created in 1994, and hospital officials believe it’s the largest single private gift to a public hospital in the country.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve