Pop stars get whatever they want, as we learned from Jack White’s recently leaked performance contract with the University of Oklahoma. According to the document, White and his entourage “don’t want to see bananas anywhere in the building.” White and friends also provide an exact recipe for how to make the guacamole they like.
But before you go off on Jack White, here are some of the other incredibly detailed backstage demands of your favorite stars as reported by the editors of The Smoking Gun web site:
1. Beyonce hates old coffee pots: Her hospitality rider stipulates that she must have a “new” coffee pot in her dressing room. She also requires white tablecloths and rose-scented candles.
2. Kanye loves to take care of his skin: According to his 2007 contract, he requires two tubes of Carmex lip balm, Nivea “Intensive” lotion, and L’Occitaine Soap. He also requests toothpicks and hot sauce be provided.
3. Justin Bieber likes options: There are a lot of different size requests for Justin Bieber’s clothing in his 2010 hospitality and travel rider. In every dressing room, he requires one package of size XS men’s white lo-rise tube socks and two packages of the same socks in size L. He also requires two packages of mens white crew neck T-shirts, one in size XS, and one in size L.
4. Katy Perry hates carnations: In the rider for her 2011 World Tour, Perry requires a fresh flower arrangement of “white and purple hydrangeas, pink and white roses and peonies… ABSOLUTELY NO CARNATIONS. She also requests blue corn tortilla chips, two different brands of pretzels, and dry roasted edamame.
5. Adele doesn’t like American alcohol: She specifically requests red wine (Italian, French, Spanish or Australian) and beer (Becks, Stella Artois, Peroni) and the rider for her 2011 American tour stipulates that “North American beer is NOT acceptable.”
6. Lady Gaga is really into food and tea: In Gaga’s 2010 rider, it says that in bright red all-caps that “the tea kettle, organic ginger and lemongrass tea and throat coat honey are very important.” Gaga also specifies that she needs an assortment of fresh fruit, but it has to have edible skin, edible seeds or be citrus. She also requires that all bars stop serving ice 30 minutes before her performance (it’s part of a security concern, so people don’t throw their drinks at her.)
7. Taylor Swift eats like a kid: Or at least she did in 2008, when she was 19. Swift’s 2008 hospitality rider requests Kraft Mac & Cheese, Twizzlers, two different kinds of Ben & Jerry’s, and Welch’s Grape Juice.