Romance sizzled in Iowa this weekend as two couples tied the knot at the Blue Ribbon Bacon Festival held in Des Moines. Because — and we say this without a trace of sarcasm or irony — there is nothing more romantic and generally wonderful than bacon.
The first pair, Tricia Snider and Tom Watson, vowed to love each other “in good times and bacon,” the Des Moines Register reports. Adam Poch, host of the Travel Channel’s Bacon Paradise, officiated the wedding, because why not. Unfortunately, they exchanged rings made out of metal rather than bacon, but later, they did eat a cake topped with bride and groom bacon-statuettes.
“She’s second only to bacon,” Watson said of his new bride. Then he smoked six pork loins and proceeded to wrap them with six pounds of bacon for the reception.
Another couple, Craig and April Rouch, tied the bacon-themed knot later in the day. We’re sure even the stoic Ron Swanson, known bacon aficionado, would have shed a tear.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List