The Nightly Show star Larry Wilmore and YouTube sensation Issa Rae will work together on a comedy pilot for HBO. The show, titled Insecure, will address the awkward experiences and difficulties with modern-day African-American life, according to Variety.
Both Rae and Wilmore have long joked about race. Before he got his own Comedy Central show — originally titled The Minority Report — Wilmore was the “Senior Black Correspondent” for The Daily Show. And Rae has amassed over 180,000 subscribers and 20 million views for her web series The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl on YouTube.
Wilmore and Rae have penned the pilot and will both produce.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving