A popular Bay Area rap star known as the Jacka was shot and killed in Oakland, California, Monday night, PEOPLE confirms.
According to a statement from the Oakland Police Department, officers responded to reports of gunshots on a busy street in East Oakland.
“Patrol units arrived to discover a victim suffering from an apparent gunshot wound and began providing medical aid,” according to the statement.
The victim, Dominic Newton – aka The Jacka – was transported to a local hospital and pronounced dead.
The Pittsburg, California, native started his rap career as a member of Mob Figaz before starting a solo career in 2001, per KPIX in San Francisco, which first reported the news.
After his death, fans and fellow members of the rap community, including Russell Simmons, turned to social media to express their grief.
“Sad to hear “The Jacka” has passed away. Very talented guy, may he rest in peace.” he tweeted.
No arrests have been made in connection with his death. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Oakland Police Department’s Homicide Section at (510) 238-3821 or the tip line at (510) 238-7950.
This article originally appeared on PEOPLE.com
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- How Drag Culture Inspired Ursula
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction