A popular Bay Area rap star known as the Jacka was shot and killed in Oakland, California, Monday night, PEOPLE confirms.
According to a statement from the Oakland Police Department, officers responded to reports of gunshots on a busy street in East Oakland.
“Patrol units arrived to discover a victim suffering from an apparent gunshot wound and began providing medical aid,” according to the statement.
The victim, Dominic Newton – aka The Jacka – was transported to a local hospital and pronounced dead.
The Pittsburg, California, native started his rap career as a member of Mob Figaz before starting a solo career in 2001, per KPIX in San Francisco, which first reported the news.
After his death, fans and fellow members of the rap community, including Russell Simmons, turned to social media to express their grief.
“Sad to hear “The Jacka” has passed away. Very talented guy, may he rest in peace.” he tweeted.
No arrests have been made in connection with his death. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Oakland Police Department’s Homicide Section at (510) 238-3821 or the tip line at (510) 238-7950.
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up