The Florida Gators didn’t make the Super Bowl, but that didn’t stop one man from trying pay homage to the team with his game day dinner.
Richard Nixie of DeBary, Florida, skipped buffalo wings and nacho dip in favor of gator, illegally killing five small alligators and cutting off their tails to cook, the Orlando Sentinel reports.
The gators were each about five-feet long, according to the Associated Press, and Nixie admitted to trapping them.
Police arrested Nixie, 30, on Sunday for possession and taking alligators without a proper tag, according to the Daytona Beach News-Journal. He was released from county jail on a $500 bond and is due back in court March 3.
“No one should have possession of a Florida alligator unless they are a state nuisance alligator trapper,” Greg Workman, a spokesman for the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission, told the Sentinel. “It’s not just a free-for-all.”
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms