Fidel Castro appeared in 21 new photos released to Cuban media outlets, ending the 88-year-old former leader’s five month absence from the public eye, which had fueled speculative reports of his demise.
“Cuba is anxious to know about him,” read a story in Cuba’s state-run paper, Granma, which showed Castro sitting upright in a meeting with a student association, CNN reports.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- The End of Succession
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction