A lucky few French Monopoly owners will get the surprise every fan of the classic board game has wished for: a chance to play with real money.
In celebration of the game’s 80th anniversary in France, 80 sets of the French anniversary edition will secretly include some real money, AFP reports.
Hasbro France wanted to do something “unique” for the 80th anniversary, their brand manager told AFP. “When we asked our French customers, they told us they wanted to find real money in their Monopoly boxes,” said Florence Gaillard.
A handful of 10 and 20-euro notes will be included in 69 anniversary sets and 10 sets will include five 20-euro notes, two 50-euros, and one 100-euro note. One lucky owner will get a game with no fake money at all, and instead a total of 20,580 euros or $23,268.
The only potential downside: the already cut-throat competition that Monopoly creates can only get more intense with the introduction of real money.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating