Rooster Teeth animator and show creator Monty Oum died at the age of 33 on Sunday from complications stemming from a medical procedure, the company announced on its website.
“As for honoring Monty, we will do that in our own way. In lieu of flowers or gifts, we ask that you simply do something creative. Use your imagination to make the world a better place in any way that you can,” the firm said in a statement.
After his hospitalization, a public fund was set up to support Oum, which has now raised almost $210,000. Rooster Teeth said the money will go toward supporting his family.
Oum was best known as the creator of the animated series RWBY, which follows a team of heroes who use an element called “Dust” to battle supernatural forces. The first episode has nearly 4 million views on YouTube.
Rooster Teeth is a growing production studio based out of Austin that focuses on live-action shorts and animation.
- In Photos: How Wildfire Smoke Impacted Cities
- How Antitrust Laws Could Kill the PGA-LIV Golf Merger
- Teens Are Taking Wegovy for Weight Loss
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- The Best TV Shows of 2023 So Far
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk