Actress Helen Mirren thrilled a handful of New Yorkers when they spotted her riding the subway this week.
While the Academy Award winner was praised for having her purse on her lap and being unafraid to sit next to someone — classy subway etiquette made all the more clear by the man-spreader beside her — the Emily Posts of the underground might dock the Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire for selecting the middle of two seats, a subway faux pas. (Plus, her coat is overflowing onto the adjacent empty seat.)
Mirren’s just one of the many celebrities who’ve shown that they’re down to earth enough to take on the New York City subway — take a look at a few others who’ve been spotted on the platforms.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time