“You say I’ve been married twice before, but I’ve been married under circumstances where I was less informed than I am today,” he said in the March issue of Esquire U.K.. “So I wouldn’t even consider it a third marriage, I’d consider it a first marriage on its own terms if I got married again.”
The Oscar winner was with Madonna from 1985 to 1989 and Wright from 1996 to 2010. While he says he remains “very friendly” with Madonna, Penn didn’t go in to as much detail regarding Wright, whom he shares two children – Dylan, 23, and Hopper, 21.
“I would say that I’m on extremely good terms with the children I share with my second ex-wife,” he said, adding that the divorce process is never easy. “You kick and bite about the other person.”
Even with his rocky experience with divorce, the actor remains positive about potentially walking down the aisle again – now that he has Theron, 39, by his side.
“Yes, I’d get married again,” the actor, 54, told Esquire.
Penn admitted he’s surprised to be in love again. “It could seem too late,” he said of his romance with Theron, 39. “But to run into somebody now who you care about is a much more passionate, deeper, truer and – God! – a much happier feeling. It’s a lot more romantic and a lot more fulfilling to be in a relationship and to think you’re a good person within it.”
Penn and Theron began dating over a year ago, and have remained quiet amid constant speculation that they are engaged.
- Governor Gretchen Whitmer on Her Fight for Abortion Access in Michigan
- Inside the War on Fake Consumer Reviews
- Column: Europe's Refugee Crisis Is Going to Get Worse
- How Lawmakers Are Trying to Protect Abortion Data Privacy
- The Surprising Thing That Could Help Ease Inflation
- Finding the American Dream in Canada
- The Safest Sunscreens to Buy—and Which Ingredients to Avoid
- Fact-Checking 8 Claims About Crypto’s Climate Impact
- How Grief Upsets Your Gut Health
- Who Could Replace Boris Johnson As U.K. Prime Minister?