“You say I’ve been married twice before, but I’ve been married under circumstances where I was less informed than I am today,” he said in the March issue of Esquire U.K.. “So I wouldn’t even consider it a third marriage, I’d consider it a first marriage on its own terms if I got married again.”
The Oscar winner was with Madonna from 1985 to 1989 and Wright from 1996 to 2010. While he says he remains “very friendly” with Madonna, Penn didn’t go in to as much detail regarding Wright, whom he shares two children – Dylan, 23, and Hopper, 21.
“I would say that I’m on extremely good terms with the children I share with my second ex-wife,” he said, adding that the divorce process is never easy. “You kick and bite about the other person.”
Even with his rocky experience with divorce, the actor remains positive about potentially walking down the aisle again – now that he has Theron, 39, by his side.
“Yes, I’d get married again,” the actor, 54, told Esquire.
Penn admitted he’s surprised to be in love again. “It could seem too late,” he said of his romance with Theron, 39. “But to run into somebody now who you care about is a much more passionate, deeper, truer and – God! – a much happier feeling. It’s a lot more romantic and a lot more fulfilling to be in a relationship and to think you’re a good person within it.”
Penn and Theron began dating over a year ago, and have remained quiet amid constant speculation that they are engaged.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This