(Gifts: The 100 Most Influential Images of All Time)
Ever wonder exactly how your DSLR camera works?
The Slow-Mo Guys, who post all sorts of neat super slow-mo video on YouTube, just uploaded a video that shows exactly what happens when you press the shutter release.
In the footage, you can clearly see the camera’s viewfinder mirror rise before the shutter drops to expose the digital sensor and record an image. Then the shutter closes and the mirror comes back down to complete the process. The video above shows the same process for a whole bunch of different shutter speeds.
Gifts: The 100 Most Influential Images of All Time
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How Safe Is India's Railway Network?
- The 'Dopamine Detox' Is Having a Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- What NASA Can Teach SpaceX About Protecting the Environment
- The Best Movies of 2023 So Far