True Blood creator Alan Ball is set to write and direct a new musical drama named Virtuoso set in 18th century Vienna, for HBO.
Elton John and husband David Furnish are on board to produce with Ball and Peter Macdissi, who will also star in the pilot.
HBO has given the go ahead for the hour-long pilot, which follows a class of young musical prodigies from across Europe at the Academy of Musical Excellence.
The cast includes Alex Lawther, (Imitation Game) Francois Civil, (Rosemary’s Baby) British actor Nico Marallegro and Australian actor Lindsay Farris.
Production of the pilot begins in the spring in Budapest.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This