Well, everything you thought you knew about love is a lie. Turns out J.K. Rowling thinks she made a huge mistake by pairing Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley in the Harry Potter novels. Hermione really should have married Harry, the author said in a recent interview for the upcoming issue of Wonderland magazine, guest-edited by Emma Watson.
Here’s what Rowling said, in excerpts printed by British newspaper The Sunday Times:
Rowling said she knew this admission would upset many Harry Potter diehards, and offered the following apology:
The author also said Hermione and Ron totally would have needed relationship counseling. She didn’t, however, seem to acknowledge the possibility that Hermione didn’t need to marry Ron OR Harry, but alas.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief