For fans of E.L. James’ Fifty Shades of Grey, there are many memorable scenes that will play out on the big screen: Ana and Christian’s introduction, his visit to the hardware store, their first night in the Red Room of Pain. However, there is one scene that readers won’t get to see—though odds are that many fans won’t be upset about the omission.
Fifty Shades director Sam Taylor-Johnson told Variety that the now-infamous scene in which Christian removes Ana’s tampon so that the couple can have sex will not be in the film. “It was never even discussed,” Taylor-Johnson said.
The cut may have come about as part of Taylor-Johnson’s attempt to cut down the number of sex scenes. “On the early draft, there was a sense there was way too much sex,” she told Variety. “The story, of course, is of equal importance. We tried to balance the narrative correctly, so one doesn’t feel like it’s drowning the other.”
Fifty Shades of Grey hits theaters Feb. 13.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms