For fans of E.L. James’ Fifty Shades of Grey, there are many memorable scenes that will play out on the big screen: Ana and Christian’s introduction, his visit to the hardware store, their first night in the Red Room of Pain. However, there is one scene that readers won’t get to see—though odds are that many fans won’t be upset about the omission.
Fifty Shades director Sam Taylor-Johnson told Variety that the now-infamous scene in which Christian removes Ana’s tampon so that the couple can have sex will not be in the film. “It was never even discussed,” Taylor-Johnson said.
The cut may have come about as part of Taylor-Johnson’s attempt to cut down the number of sex scenes. “On the early draft, there was a sense there was way too much sex,” she told Variety. “The story, of course, is of equal importance. We tried to balance the narrative correctly, so one doesn’t feel like it’s drowning the other.”
Fifty Shades of Grey hits theaters Feb. 13.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List