For fans of E.L. James’ Fifty Shades of Grey, there are many memorable scenes that will play out on the big screen: Ana and Christian’s introduction, his visit to the hardware store, their first night in the Red Room of Pain. However, there is one scene that readers won’t get to see—though odds are that many fans won’t be upset about the omission.
Fifty Shades director Sam Taylor-Johnson told Variety that the now-infamous scene in which Christian removes Ana’s tampon so that the couple can have sex will not be in the film. “It was never even discussed,” Taylor-Johnson said.
The cut may have come about as part of Taylor-Johnson’s attempt to cut down the number of sex scenes. “On the early draft, there was a sense there was way too much sex,” she told Variety. “The story, of course, is of equal importance. We tried to balance the narrative correctly, so one doesn’t feel like it’s drowning the other.”
Fifty Shades of Grey hits theaters Feb. 13.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now