For fans of E.L. James’ Fifty Shades of Grey, there are many memorable scenes that will play out on the big screen: Ana and Christian’s introduction, his visit to the hardware store, their first night in the Red Room of Pain. However, there is one scene that readers won’t get to see—though odds are that many fans won’t be upset about the omission.
Fifty Shades director Sam Taylor-Johnson told Variety that the now-infamous scene in which Christian removes Ana’s tampon so that the couple can have sex will not be in the film. “It was never even discussed,” Taylor-Johnson said.
The cut may have come about as part of Taylor-Johnson’s attempt to cut down the number of sex scenes. “On the early draft, there was a sense there was way too much sex,” she told Variety. “The story, of course, is of equal importance. We tried to balance the narrative correctly, so one doesn’t feel like it’s drowning the other.”
Fifty Shades of Grey hits theaters Feb. 13.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time