Amazon has been raking in accolades for its new show Transparent, which stars Jeffrey Tambor as a transgender parent that comes out to her children. But the show could have belonged to Netflix.
Netflix CEO Reed Hastings told the Huffington Post that Amazon outbid his company for streaming rights to Transparent, which first aired its pilot on Amazon in February. The show has since been hailed by critics, recently picking up a Golden Globe for best TV series.
Amazon’s success with Transparent demonstrates just how competitive the market for premium television is becoming. In the same interview, Hastings told the Huffington Post that Netflix managed to outbid HBO for House of Cards, while HBO ended up snagging the rights to True Detective.
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How Sara Reardon Became the 'Vagina Whisperer'
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time