Dalton Hayes, the 18-year-old Kentucky teen who allegedly stole a series of vehicles on his way to Florida with his 13-year-old girlfriend, revealed from jail Monday that he had been attempting to reach Miami and escape prosecution in his home state, where he was charged with theft and burglary last year.
Hayes will be extradited back to Kentucky and will face additional charges of burglary, criminal mischief and trespassing.
Taking a bus would have been better, according to Hayes. “We just went on a few high-speed chases,” he said in an interview with the Panama City News Herald.
The pair disappeared on Jan. 3 and were arrested in Florida last Saturday after allegedly stealing trucks, one of which contained two guns, in a multi-state chase.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org