The Terminator exists.
Or at least a primitive version of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s famous cyborg creation does. In an RT video posted Tuesday, Russian President Vladimir Putin is shown at a research institute outside Moscow, where he’s presented a combat robot driving an ATV bike on a controlled course. Details on the cyborg are slim, but it seems to be driving very slowly and carefully, and looks a bit like a Star Wars Stormtrooper.
The Russian military has been testing a wide variety of combat robots, a program that the U.S. has largely eschewed in favor of bomb-defusing and reconnaissance robots only. A Russian tank the size of a small car, for instance, comes equipped with a heavy machine gun and can act semi autonomously, according to Popular Mechanics.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now