A shooter opened fire inside the Melbourne Square Mall in Melbourne, Florida, on Saturday morning, NBC News reports.
Calls came in around 9:30 a.m., and police reportedly “contained” the shooter by 10:40 a.m.
Cathy Wright, an employee at Starbucks, tells NBC News that she heard about “three or four gunshots” in “rapid succession” and was told by mall security to remain in her store.
The Melbourne Police’s Twitter account later asked store employees and shoppers to exit the mall through the back door while they evacuated the entire complex.
News 13, a local news station, reported that at least one person is dead with two others injured. The shooter is believed to be one of the people shot.
One witness, Jeff Gross, shared a shot of police officers outside of the mall on Twitter.
“I was in the back of my restaurant, in the kitchen, and one of my coworker came out screaming,” Jeff Gross, who works at the Rodizio Grill, told PEOPLE.
“We all ran out of the back,” he continued, adding that he and everyone in the restaurant got out safe.
This article originally appeared at PEOPLE.com
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction