Oprah Winfrey, who produced and appears in the Oscar-nominated movie Selma, will march in Selma, Alabama on Sunday with members of the film’s cast and crew to celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr.’s birthday.
Director Ava DuVernay and star David Oyelowo will also be marching in the event to celebrate Dr. King’s contributions, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The film is about Dr. King and the voting rights protests of 1965 in Selma. Monday is MLK Day, a national holiday celebrating Dr. King’s birthday and his leadership in the civil rights movement.
Paramount is offering free screenings of Selma for students in 24 American cities on Monday, thanks to contributions by prominent African-American business leaders.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time