The 2015 Oscar nominations are finally here—and something a lot of people quickly noticed is that an overwhelming majority of the nominees are white. Frustrated with this lack of racial diversity, one citizen of the Internet took to Twitter to start the hashtag #OscarsSoWhite. It’s quickly gaining momentum as a platform mostly for jokes—but also for more serious reflections.
Here’s the initial tweet that got things going:
And then from there, the hashtag blew up with snarky jokes:
People also began using the hashtag to share information and sincerely express concerns:
Read more #OscarsSoWhite tweets on Twitter.
- LeBron James Could Take Pickleball—Yes, Pickleball—to the Next Level
- It's Going to Be a Lot More Expensive to Heat Your Home This Winter. Here's What To Expect
- The U.S. Might Be the Surprising Determining Factor in the Future of Armenia
- Rapper Saucy Santana Is Opening a Door For His Community
- Here are the Biggest Moments from the TIME100 Leadership Forum and Impact Awards in Singapore
- Column: Russia Wants to Lock Ukraine Back in the Soviet Cellar
- As the Kanjuruhan Tragedy Shows, Indonesia Has Not Resolved Its Long-Standing Problem of Soccer Violence
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in October 2022
- A New Documentary Series Illuminates the History and Evolution of Queer Horror