The 2015 Oscar nominations are finally here—and something a lot of people quickly noticed is that an overwhelming majority of the nominees are white. Frustrated with this lack of racial diversity, one citizen of the Internet took to Twitter to start the hashtag #OscarsSoWhite. It’s quickly gaining momentum as a platform mostly for jokes—but also for more serious reflections.
Here’s the initial tweet that got things going:
And then from there, the hashtag blew up with snarky jokes:
People also began using the hashtag to share information and sincerely express concerns:
Read more #OscarsSoWhite tweets on Twitter.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time