The 2015 Oscar nominations are finally here—and something a lot of people quickly noticed is that an overwhelming majority of the nominees are white. Frustrated with this lack of racial diversity, one citizen of the Internet took to Twitter to start the hashtag #OscarsSoWhite. It’s quickly gaining momentum as a platform mostly for jokes—but also for more serious reflections.
Here’s the initial tweet that got things going:
And then from there, the hashtag blew up with snarky jokes:
People also began using the hashtag to share information and sincerely express concerns:
Read more #OscarsSoWhite tweets on Twitter.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears