The Advocate‘s annual list of the most LGBT-friendly cities in the United States, just released this week, has a new No. 1: Dayton, Ohio.
For this year’s list of the “Queerest Cities in America,” the outlet gave cities points for things like how trans-inclusive they are, the existence of LGBT-friendly Jewish and Muslim houses of worship and whether they hosted tours of Broadway hits like Kinky Boots, The Book of Mormon and Wicked. The Advocate divided the total points by the population to get a “per capita LGBT quotient.” (LGBT-friendly hubs like New York City and San Francisco are excluded.)
The top five “Queerest Cities” of 2015 are:
- Dayton, Ohio
- Atlanta, Ga.
- West Palm Beach, Fla.
- Lansing, Mich.
- Madison, Wisc.
Read more at The Advocate.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space