In his latest mock draft, SI.com’s Chris Burke projects Mariota as the No. 1 pick.
“After meeting with my family I have decided to forego my final year of eligibility and apply for the 2015 NFL Draft,” Mariota said in a statement. “My four years at the University of Oregon have been an awesome experience. I cannot thank Coach Kelly, Coach Helfrich, Coach Frost, the rest of the Oregon coaches and the support staff enough for molding me as a person, player and student-athlete.”
Mariota won this season’s Heisman Trophy, after throwing 38 touchdowns and two interceptions in the regular season. In the College Football Playoff, Mariota threw four touchdowns and two interceptions in two games. He led Oregon to the national championship game, where the Ducks fell to Ohio State.
Mariota was 11th in the nation this season with 296.9 passing yards per game and second nationally with 42 touchdown passes. In his three-year collegiate career, Mariota threw 105 touchdowns and 14 interceptions.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving