In his latest mock draft, SI.com’s Chris Burke projects Mariota as the No. 1 pick.
“After meeting with my family I have decided to forego my final year of eligibility and apply for the 2015 NFL Draft,” Mariota said in a statement. “My four years at the University of Oregon have been an awesome experience. I cannot thank Coach Kelly, Coach Helfrich, Coach Frost, the rest of the Oregon coaches and the support staff enough for molding me as a person, player and student-athlete.”
Mariota won this season’s Heisman Trophy, after throwing 38 touchdowns and two interceptions in the regular season. In the College Football Playoff, Mariota threw four touchdowns and two interceptions in two games. He led Oregon to the national championship game, where the Ducks fell to Ohio State.
Mariota was 11th in the nation this season with 296.9 passing yards per game and second nationally with 42 touchdown passes. In his three-year collegiate career, Mariota threw 105 touchdowns and 14 interceptions.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out